Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

Hello all. It's been a good day of R&R. I went to bed at 9:30pm and got up at 9:30am. I'm still jet lagged, but I feel good. I had breakfast and it was great. My host parents oldest son, Delasi, cooked me a wonderful breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, and beans. Of course every meal is followed by tea. It's great and you people don't know what you are missing. At 11:30 I went to the computer lab and uploaded some pictures and did the email thing. We had lunch at 12:30. It's a community lunch that the church does every fortnight. (A fortnight is every other week) It was great. I got to meet a lot of the church members. We had a full meal. Asparagus soup, beef, carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli , peas and for dessert I had pineapple upside down cake. All of this for £2. (that's about $3.50) During the lunch on of the coolest guys I met, Bryan told me about an inscription that is on every 2£ coin. It reads "Standing on the shoulders of Giants" It's even on some of the 1£ coins. Sir Isaac Newton wrote it in letter to one of his friends. He was referring to his feelings about his success and fame. He said it to mean that he felt all of his success was due to the people that supported him and helped him. That's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't be here without all of your prayers and financial support.

At 7:30 we had computer club. It's where the church opens up the computer lab and lets the youth in the area use the lab. It only costs 50p and draws a lot of support from the church. There are a lot of youth here. It's kind of hectic and crazy, but I think it will be a big part of our ministry here. That is where I am now, in the computer lab. I just showed some of the youth my stretchy skin and they are going crazy.

Well, I'm off to my home for a night of relaxation and conversation. We are 6 hours ahead of you guys. So I'm writing this at 9:40pm. Leave some love!!

-Robert

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robert! I just want you to know that I'm so proud of what you're doing! It is awesome! I miss you and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! Love~Natalie (big bird)

Anonymous said...

lil' brudder....i miss you lots already. i know this sounds cliche and silly, but i think it really just hit me after reading yours and stella's post's that you are really gone for the next 3 months. miss you. love you. let me know if there is anything i can do for you!
-magola

Anonymous said...

Don't show them your skin. I'm joking. Glad you got to meet the youth. Do God's work very well and make all of us back in J'ville happy and proud.
Kayla

Anonymous said...

Yay for your stretchy skin! I miss that. What kind of tea do you drink? Regular tea, or herbal tea? Just wondering. I made it through the summer on coca tea, so I know how that is. So we can have a tea party when you get back!
Muchas besas, mi amor.
-Ginny