Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Milk'em Dry!!!!

Hello all. Actually some school related stuff to report. We had orientation on Tuesday. It was from 9-4 and it was a blast. Here are the names of my team followed by our superiors and what they do. (so when I talk about these people you know who they are) Team- Stella (you know her I bet); Joshua-from Rochester,NY;Jeff-from Richmond via Atlanta; and Robert (me). Our superiors- Troy and Cheryl Blankenship (IMB missionaries and team leaders with 4 kids from OK); Rob and Jenny Burns (what irony--They are are CONNECT supervisors. Connect is our schooling while we are here. 4 kids as well.) Tom and Ann (don't remember their last names but he is from Trussville and she is from Oxford!) They are our team logistics coordinators. Kelley is a 26 year old journeyman from TX. There are also 6 British students as well. I'll get to that in a minute. In orientation we learned about Cardiff and the cultures we will be dealing with. Islam is the biggest culture and religion in the areas we will be working and living in. I never knew that learning about other cultures would be so interesting to me. It was great, and Josh and Amir are going to teach me some basic Arabic!! How cool!! We are also in a mentoring program. Troy is my mentor. Rob told us this about our relationships with our mentors, "milk'em dry!" As he said that Jeff said, "That's gonna be the next title of Robert's blog!" Good call Jeff, good call.

Then today we had prayer meeting at 10. We walked 35 minutes to the Kelly's flat (Josh overslept and we waited on him. We missed the bus. I wasn't thrilled with this start to my day) When we got there Troy told us that until lunch we would prayer walk our territory. Oh boy. I just walked 35 minutes here and we have to turn around and walk around our entire area. I wasn't thrilled with this revelation either. As it was prayer walking turned out to be pretty cool. Stella, Cheryl and I walked around Grangetown and it went well. Then Stella, Josh, Jeff and I met for lunch at Yum-Yum's. (see earlier posts) We ate and hung out and bonded for 2 1/2 hours. It was great.

At 7:30 we had our induction in to the CONNECT program. It went well. Rob asked Isla (pronounced I-lah) and I to lead worship. Isla is one of Rob's friends that attends Glenwood Church. She was a ton of fun to work with. She really made me look good up there! Thanks Isla!! We had dinner and met the British students in the program. I think we will blend nicely with them. Oh, by the way, Americans are loud and obnoxious compared with Brits. We have class tomorrow morning at 9.

I'm going to go to bed now. I miss you all and honestly think about you all the time. Oh, this is for Brandi, Jessie and Maggs. Isla and I were practicing for tonight. I started singing falsetto in one of the songs. She actually told me I sounded just like the Bee Gees. I about died. All I could think about and sing was "Livin it up, on the Barry Gibb talkshow" I thought about you guys and all of the good times we have had together. I miss them and can't wait to have more. Ginny, sorry about calling you late on Monday. I still feel bad. Sorry. Have a great day! More to come tomorrow about school!! Leave some love!!

-Robert

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am yet again the first. I miss you and am glad you meet people. I love pray walks so cool. I wish you were here but I know you are going to be doing awesome stuff there. Miss you and I keep you in my prayers.
Kayla

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have not commented in a while, I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off (I am super busy and stressed). I love the beegees thing, we will watch it as soon as you come home. I miss you like crazy and I am praying for you.
Bran
P.S. Americans are loud and obnoxious...I love it.

Anonymous said...

Learn all the Arabic you can, so you can teach it to me when you get back home. I just watched Conan and it made me think of you because Anthony Hopkins was on and he said that he went to acting school in Wales. That's really random I know, but it's funny how many times mention of Wales pops up now that you are there. We are learning about the Welsh Celts in my History of England class now too. I am constantly reminded of you, no matter if I am in class or out. It makes me miss you all the more. Be careful and have a wonderful semester in Britland. I love you so much. Tu est le garçon de mes rêves.
-Ginny