Monday, September 12, 2005

The last day of nothing

Hello all. Let's work backwards, shall we? Sunday was good. We attended our first church service here at Grangetown Baptist. It went well, I went to Sunday school with the children. There are about 15 or so kids that are regulars. It was good to meet them and start to work with them. It will be our job to train some more kids and youth workers. I don't feel qualified to teach "adults" how to run Sunday school, but God will use me somehow. Sunday night was my first time with the youth. There are 4 or 5 regulars, and I foresee this to be our biggest challenge. The kids that are there are in the mindset that only good people go to church. That will make evangelism hard. Our first task will be to make the kids understand that EVERYONE needs a relationship with Christ, not just the good people. Pray for us, it's gonna be an uphill battle.

Today I had lunch in the City Centre with Stella and some of the church members. It was good to be out of the house and the area. Nothing against Grangetown, but we haven't had anything to do since Friday. Today is the last day of nothing, tomorrow is orientation. Wednesday is induction and Thursday classes start. Back to the subject. After lunch we went shopping. We went to a place that Americans call a mall. Here in the UK it's called an arcade. It's really neat and beautiful. I'll have to take a picture and put it up later. They are the prettiest parts of the city to me. I bought 2 books at the Christian bookstore. I could have spent hundreds of dollars today, the shops are that great. Oh, for all of you 1st Baptist people I'm getting some new glasses next week. They are really cheap here. Around 35-40 quid for the eye exam, frames and lenses. (quid is a slang term for pounds; thanks Kevin, you really are my hero.) That equates to about 70-80 dollars for the whole package. As nice as my duct tape glasses are, I need some new ones.

Please pray for the following: I'm leading worship Wednesday and Thursday at induction and the first day of class. I'm really nervous about it, so please pray for me. I'm worried about raising money if I do stay. Many of you will wonder how that can be. It will cost £2800 to stay the whole 10 months. 2800 times 1.84= $5152. (1.84 is the exchange rate) That's just the money for tuition and meals. I would have no spending money and no way of earning more. Just pray that first off I will hear God in all of this and two that I'll be obedient to whatever He wants. Also, pray for Ginny. I know she doesn't want me to put this up, but she needs it. Our separation for this long has been hard on us, and the prospect of adding 6 more months doesn't help. We both need your prayers.

Thanks for all of the continued comments and prayers. They mean more to me than you will ever know. I miss all of you and can't wait to see you again. Whether I stay the 10 months or just 4 I have to come home for Christmas. One week down 14 to go!! Leave some love!!

-Robert

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. That whole countdown thing really makes it seem like you will be gone forever. I am missing you enough as it is. That reminds me. Dr. Koss told a funny joke today in French class, and maybe you will laugh if you remember the french word for egg.
Q: Why does a Frenchman only eat one egg for breakfast?
A: Because one egg is un oeuf (enough).
Ok, I might be the only one who laughed at that, but oh well.
J'adore mon Robert.
-Ginny

Robert said...

I got the "joke". It was bad, but it's French, what can you expect. I love you and miss you as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the duck tape glasses are going. Hey see if any of the youth there know how to play UNO. Maybe you can beat them since you can't beat me. Hehe. I will always be the champ. We need to have an UNO match when you get back. Whenever that is.