Friday, October 28, 2005

7 down, 7 to go

Salutations. It's been a really boring week. Troy is out of town, and some of our normal things have been postponed until next week. It has kinda had the feel of the first week that I was here. That means I haven't had the best week, but it hasn't been the worst week since I've been here.

I hoped that this time wouldn't come, but it has. I'm starting to feel really lonely and detached from things at home. I know, I'm 5,000 miles away from home. I'm supposed to be detached from events and people that I love. I just feel like the people that I care about have continued on without me. (I know that the world doesn't revolve around me. I know everyone's lives didn't come to a screeching halt when my plane took off.) I feel like I'm on an island and no one cares to see how I am. I know, many of you ask Ginny how I am on a regular basis. But that doesn't always translate to me. She can't always remember who said what and when. So from now on if you want to ask how I am here's how you do it. rklitton@gmail.com I'd really love to hear from you guys on a more regular basis.

This week is the halfway point. 7 down and 7 to go. I think I've made up my mind that I'm coming home in December. This will make Ginny, TJ and my parents very happy. Unless God gives my burning bush I'll be home for Valentines Day!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(This will be a short summary of my "lost post" of the other day)

This being the halfway point, let's summarize what I've learned:

I have a TON of growing up to do. I have so many character flaws it's not even funny. I've learned so much about myself in just 7 weeks. I really feel like I'm a better person and Christian. The difference is now I see that I have a LONG way to go to be where I should be. Will I ever get there? Check back in 50 years or so.

Long distance relationships = HARD WORK. It's so hard having a relationship over the phone. It takes so much work for it to even come close to being fulfilling. In person, your body language says so much about what you are saying. There are times that one of us will be joking around with the other and someone ends up getting their feeling hurt. It's just hard to communicate feelings over the phone. But just like in life you have to learn and adapt. Ginny and I have really gotten better at this phone thing. She has really been there for me even though she HATES the phone. Thanks babe. You really are the best. Boy I can't wait until I can look into your eyes....

Even though they speak English, the Welsh people speak a whole different language. There are alot of things that are taboo here that aren't in the States and visa versa. It took Stella and I over a month to figure out what they were and change our behavior (or behaviour in the UK.) I wasn't prepared at all for the culture shock that was waiting on us. I'll know for next time I travel abroad. (hopefully in July ;)

That the simpler life is, the better it is. I'm learning to do less things better. This can be applied to pretty much any facet of your life. Have fewer good friends and be more intimate with them. Spend a little less time with your "partner" but make it more quality time. Stop trying to win the whole world for Jesus and focus on your sphere of influence. My life will be WAY different when I get back. But not that many of you will see a change. It will be something internal that I have to apply to my life back home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad I was open enough to come here. I really am different and I like who I am becoming. I jsu really miss you guys right now. Haloween is the first "holiday" that I've missed and Thanksgiving isn't that far behind. Say a little prayer for Stella and I. She won't tell you, but the separation is taking its toll on her too. If nothing else this trip has really made us appreciate all of you back home. Thanks to all of you who I call friends. You really make life special.

To all of my youth and staff at Jacksonville FBC: I miss you guys more and more each day. I can't wait to get back and start seeing you guys again. Derrick, you know what I think of you. It's not all bad. Apart from being a cotton headed ninny muggins, you are the best mentor and friend I could ever ask for. Kevin, your emails and comments cheer me up the most. I think it's because of the grammar and spelling, or the lack there of. Thanks man, I really appreciate them.

I think I'm going to start ending each post with an uplifting note to one of my friends. I'll have to make a list and post more, but it will be worth it. Next time: Brandi Grey. Until then, leave some love.

-Robert

4 comments:

Stella said...

LOL Ginny totally called you a DORK yesterday!!! That was great! And I might not have said it in my blog, but I've told just about everybody I know how much it driving me crazy, on facebook. lol I'm really glad we've gotten to go through these trials together. I think I would have craked up long before now if you weren't here. Thank you!

~Stella

Anonymous said...

That was the best blog you have written so far. It really is hard to have a long-distance relationship, but I kow that we are genuinely getting better at it. And I am so glad that you were happy with your package that I sent you. Can't wait to talk to you tomorrow. I love you!!!
-Ginny

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melanie said...

Hey Robert! It was good to hear your voice on the phone the other day. Thank you for writing this blog. I think it will help to prepare me for next summer when I'm abroad. Summer Missions interviews are in TWO WEEKS! I'm so excited and scared at the same time. Please pray for me. I'll let you know how it goes. It seems like you are learning more about a quality life and not such a quantity life. That's a lot of wisdom and insight coming from a Georgia boy!!! Lol! Hey, you missed Ginny and me in our Arabic debute! We'll have to show you the DVD sometime. Fun times! Well Robert, I'll be praying for you. Take care! Lots of love!