Saturday, November 19, 2005

Stonehenge: the story

Ok. Here is the story of our wacky and wonderful day.

We were supposed to meet at the train station at 9. This turned into 9:10 for me, 9:30 for Josh and 10:15 for Jeff. I wasn't happy with the way this day started. Well, we caught the 10:30 train to Bristol. We got there at 11:30 and walked outside the train station and said "what now?" Well we decided to go to Bath, a town about 15 or so miles away. It's famous for the only warm springs in all of Britain. The Romans built public baths there that are still in use today. We decided to go check it out. After a 30 minute bus ride that I fell asleep on ( I fell asleep on the train ride also), we arrived in Bath. It's one of the most lovely and charming places I've ever been. I think that it would be a great place to spend a honeymoon. But I digress. We walked around and looked at the town. Did I mention that it was amazingly cold today? I can't understate how cold it was today. For those of you that went to Philly, it was colder than the day we walked around the University of Penn. Anyways, we saw the abbey in Bath. It was amazingly beautiful. It was massive!! It was closed for a memorial service, but they opened the doors afterwards and we got some pictures from the doors. Then we went to see how much it would cost to see the Roman Baths. It would have cost us £9. We all decided that was too much to pay for that attraction. We went into a tourism office and saw tours to Stonehenge. For the price that they were offering we couldn't pass up the opportunity of a lifetime.

It took us about an hour to get to Stonehenge. Did I mention that it was cold today??? We had an hour to walk around and do whatever you like. I determined that it's almost impossible to spend more than about an hour and 15 or 20 minutes at Stonehenge. As cool as it was they are just rocks. They don't move, you do. They way that the tour went was this. They took you there and dropped you off. We had to pay to see Stonehenge. It's like a national park. You walk around Stonehenge in a circle and listen to an audio tour. It's really interesting and I can tell you a lot about Stonehenge now.

After we got back to Bath we stopped in a pub and just chilled out. It was the first REAL pub that we have been to. All of the other ones we more like bars, but this one was like the pub that I always imagined. It had a fire and wooden floors and everything. We chilled there for over an hour. Then we went to eat.

Burger King was good and we chilled there for a while as well. The reason for all of the "chilling" was how freakin cold it was today. Then we got back on our bus and headed back to Bristol.

About 8 miles out of Bristol I thought that we were at out stop. So we got off and quickly realized that I was WAY wrong. The reason I thought that we were there were two shops that were right beside each other. They looked just like the two across from the train station. Well luckily we caught a bus to the train station and managed to get home.

The reason that I was so detailed about today was simple. 30 years from now when I tel my grandkids about this I want to have SOME memory of it.

I hope that everyone has a day like I did today. It was amazing and I can't tell you how much I needed today. I'll see you guys in 3 weeks!! Leave some love!!

-Robert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

STONEHENGE!!!!!
I can't believe that I never guessed where you went today. I just couldn't believe it that you saw Stonehenge. That kinda makes it more real for me, your being in Britain. I am so jealous. But the pictures you took are amazing. Thanks for including yourself in some. I am sitting here with Katie and she says hey also. I love you and miss you. Talk to you tomorrow. Mwah!
-Ginny