Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Trials and tribulations....

Two days in a row!! That's some sort of record for me here in the States. This will be a devotional post so hang on...

All of you that have happy, stable, emotionally balanced families stop right now and thank God for them. They are a blessing and shouldn't be taken for granted. I'm going through a hellish period with my parents and it's draining and it's honestly a huge burden. But as I was doing my devotion this morning God stopped me in my tracks with the subject matter. My devotional book is Max Lucado's, "Grace For the Moment" This is what it reads:

"Made For Heaven"
My kingdom does not belong to this world.-John 18:36
Unhappiness on Earth cultivates a hunger for heaven. By gracing us with a deep dissatisfaction, God holds our attention. The only tragedy, then, is to be satisfied prematurely. To settle for Earth. To be content in a strange land...
He goes on to quote 1 Peter 2:11; we are "like foreigners and strangers in this world" That's what God does sometimes. He has to remind us of what heaven is like by letting the ugliness of the world interact with our hearts. This isn't a pretty thing most of the time and we certainly don't like it. But I have to remember, not everything that I dislike is bad for me. God is trying to "hold my attention" in this and I am trying to hear him. So just remember next time a "crisis" comes that God is trying to get your attention. Remember that growth is painful. Seek his purpose in the strife and let His peace rule your heart. Don't forget, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son..." Romans 8:28-29a NLT
Robert

No comments: